SWEA San Francisco Scholarship
SWEA (Swedish Women’s Educational Association) is a non-profit global organization, dedicated to promoting Swedish culture and traditions in countries outside Sweden. Founded in 1979, the organization now has about 7000 members in over 70 chapters in over 30 countries on five continents. SWEA San Francisco was founded in 1982.
SWEA San Francisco’s Scholarship, in the amount of $10,000, will be awarded to a qualified individual or group in the Western United States who is pursuing academic or professional research or artistic endeavors, with particular relevance to Sweden. The candidate’s project may include, but is not limited to, work in areas such as Swedish culture, history, music, visual or performing arts, literature, media, sciences, or the environment. It is expected that the project will result in a tangible product and will be completed within a year of receipt of the award. The final outcome of the project should be of a kind that can be shared with other interested groups or parties to help spread knowledge about Sweden abroad. A report must be submitted within a year, followed by a copy of the finished project.
The scholarship will not be awarded for learning Swedish or for participation in exchange programs. The applicant must reside permanently outside Sweden. The recipient should be willing and ready to make a presentation to the San Francisco SWEA audience. One or two smaller donations may also be awarded. SWEA members and their close family members are excluded from participation. The decision by SWEA San Francisco is final.
Application deadline: April 15, 2022
1. Complete the application form.
2. Prepare the following attachments:
(a) A full CV or resume
(b) A detailed description of the project, about two pages long. The description may be in English or Swedish. However, if knowledge of the Swedish language has a bearing on the project, the description needs to be written in Swedish.
• Give a short description of yourself and your interests.
• Describe the project in some detail. What is its purpose? Have you already started it? Where will it be carried out? What will be the end result? When do you expect to complete it? Include samples or bibliography if appropriate.
• Describe in detail how the scholarship funds will be used and include a budget.
(c) Samples of previous work (written work, pictures of artistic work, etc.)
3. Provide recommendations: Provide at least two (2) letters of recommendation directly from individuals who know you and your work well, professionally, academically or as an artist. The letters must be confidential and received via email by April 15, 2022 at: scholarship.swea.sf(Replace this parenthesis with the @ sign)gmail.com
4. Submission: Submit applications, including all attachments, to SWEA SF scholarship committee at scholarship.swea.sf(Replace this parenthesis with the @ sign)gmail.com
The application, including all attachments, must be received by the SWEA SF Scholarship Committee at scholarship.swea.sf(Replace this parenthesis with the @ sign)gmail.com on or before April 15, 2022, Incomplete or late applications will not be considered. The recipient will be notified in the month of May, 2022.
6. Questions? Should be addressed to scholarship.swea.sf(Replace this parenthesis with the @ sign)gmail.com